Museum Store Sales Associate
The Frye Art Museum is a living legacy of visionary patronage and civic responsibility, committed to artistic inquiry and a rich visitor experience. A catalyst for our engagement with contemporary art and artists is the Founding Collection of Charles and Emma Frye, access to which shall always be free.
DEPARTMENT: Museum Store
REPORTS TO: Museum Store Manager
FLSA STATUS: Non-exempt
STATUS: Full-time (25 – 35 hours per week)
BENEFITS: Full benefits including medical, dental, PTO accrual, 403(b) and more.
The Sales Associate provides strong customer service in addition to assisting with day-to-day store operations. The Sales Associate is an efficient, clear communicator with strong problem solving and multi-tasking skills. The Sales Associate supports all Museum exhibitions and programs with a deep knowledge of the Frye Museum’s mission and current exhibitions and possesses up-to-date knowledge about the merchandise in the Museum Store, specifically exhibition related items and products by Pacific Northwest designers and artists.
• Provides excellent and knowledgeable customer service, ensuring that customer needs are met, complaints are resolved, and service is quick and efficient.
• Opens and closes the store: counting and balancing the cash register till, re-stocking and straightening merchandise, and cleaning the Store.
• Handles cash, credit card, debit card, check, and gift card transactions with confidence and accuracy.
• Understands Store policies and procedures including return and exchange procedures.
• Seeks creative ways to engage regular clientele and provide a memorable experience for first-time visitors.
• Occasionally works on exhibition opening nights.
• Effectively sells Museum Memberships and tickets to education programs.
• Assists Manager with receiving, pricing, arranging and displaying merchandise.
• Assists in maintaining Store website including product updates, inventory maintenance, and fulfillment.
• Supports Manager during an annual inventory count.
• Assumes assigned responsibilities during Manager’s absence.
• Conforms to code of ethics governing the museum profession. Represents the Museum with a high level of integrity and professionalism.
• Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
• Proficient in Mac & PC platforms, POS software, Word, Excel, Shopify platform, and Social Media applications.
• Experience working in a gallery or retail environment.
• A general knowledge of Art History.
• Must be able to lift 40+ pounds
• Must be able to stand for prolonged periods (6-8 hours)
• Constantly operates a computer and other retail and office machinery, such as a cash register, copy machine and computer printer.
• Constantly positions self to display merchandise on shelves, walls and the floor.
• This person constantly communicates with customers and other employees; must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations.
This position offers approximately 25-35 hours per week on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday with opportunities to pick up additional shifts covering for colleagues that are on vacation or ill.
Work areas are inside, in a climate-controlled environment with light background noise. Work may require long periods of sustained standing during Museum events.
The incumbent will be expected to diligently and consistently comply with all health and safety protocols related to the pandemic.
The Frye Art Museum will consider reasonable accommodations for those applicants with disabilities who may need reasonable accommodation to perform the essential functions/duties. Please contact the Human Resources Department (email@example.com) for additional information.
Candidates should send cover letter and resume with "Museum Store Sales Associate" in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your email, explain how you meet or exceed the minimum qualifications, describe your current availability, and tell us why you would make an excellent addition to our team! No phone calls please.
This job summary is a summary of the primary duties and responsibilities of this role at the Frye Art Museum. Employees must maintain a high degree of flexibility in our rapidly changing environment and, as such, may be required to perform additional duties beyond the scope described here from time to time.
The Frye is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, sex, religion, age, marital or veteran’s status, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.